About Playfair Library
Your visit to Playfair Library
We ask that you arrive at the venue in plenty of time as latecomers may not be admitted.
Please note that there is no cloakroom facility to store belongings, but there are three coat rails at the entrance to the Playfair Library. You should not bring bags larger than 30cm x 30cm x 15cm to our venues.
Safety and Security
Your safety and security at International Festival events is of the utmost importance to us. Please note that bags may be subject to security searches.
If you spot anything suspicious during your visit to the International Festival, please do let a member of the team know.
Edinburgh is very compact, which makes it ideal to explore on foot or by bicycle. See below for information about getting to the venue.
- Pay and display parking on Chambers Street
- Bus stop (South Bridge): 3, 5, 7, 8, 14, 29, 30, 31, 33, 35, 37, 49
- Bus stop (Surgeons’ Hall): 2, 3, 5, 7, 8, 14, 29, 30, 31, 33, 37, 47, 47B, 49
- Taxi rank on Nicolson Square
- Waverley Station 0.4 miles
- More public transport information available at Transport for Edinburgh
- Go green and try car-sharing to save costs and our planet - see goCarShare and TripshareEdinburgh
- Find out about walking routes and cycling paths, bike security and bike parking options
- Limited Blue Badge parking on Chambers Street
- Steep ramped access to Old College Quad via Nicolson Street, you may require assistance
- 16 steps to Reception
- 41 steps from Reception to Library
- Wheelchair accessible via the lift, with assistance from our Front of House team. The entrance for the lift is at the mail room door on the left.
- Lift to all levels inside the mail room, the lift is 1m x 1.2m once inside, the lift door is 74cm wide
- Wheelchair spaces available
- Accessible toilet on first floor
- Loop system
- Assistance dogs are welcome